Tabouli is a a traditional salad which originates in Arabian and Mediterranean cultures. It is made up of bulgar, mint, parsley, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with a light lemony vinaigrette dressing. Nowadays , with the popularity of food blogs and Pinterest, you will find unique spins on this classic salad.
What I love most about the salad we are making today is that it is high in plant based protein. We are adding two types of beans and using quinoa instead of bulgar. Quinoa is a complete source of protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. The use of fresh herbs and vegetables also add great nutrients and antioxidants. This salad would pair wonderfully with grilled steak, fish and chicken entrees.
- 1 c quinoa, dry
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 c red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 4 large mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 kale leaves, stems removed, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 c olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package and allow to cool in refrigerator
- In a large mixing bowl, combine olive oil and lemon juice. Whisk well.
- Combine kale, parsley and mint with olive oil and lemon mixture and toss to coat. This helps to tenderize the kale and meld the flavors while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add tomatoes, onion, chickpeas and black beans to mixture. Stir. Add chilled quinoa and season liberally with salt and pepper. Stir and chill until serving.
Yields 6, 1 cup servings